March 18, 2009

TEAM BIKE Luke Webber


Here's the first team bike of the 2009 season. Each rider builds their choice of Yeti frameset around a unique set of components. This makes for a pretty interesting range of bikes that you'll be able to read about here and checkout at the races. Over to Luke, for the lowdown on his bike...

Here's my Yeti race bike for 2009 - a stock large ASR alloy in 2008 team colours. First a bit of history, I've been racing Yeti bikes since summer 2003 starting out with an ARC that is still in the stable today. However since then I have become a total convert to full suspension, especially when it is executed as well as it is on the ASR.

My first Yeti fully was a Kokopelli. I could tell it rode well but was a bit heavy and unrefined. By 2007 I was convinced and grabbed an ASR. The full carbon back end bought weight down to a competitive five pounds and now I am on another ASR - albeit one with bigger, stiffer tubes and more relaxed angles.

This makes a great difference, not that I can notice the stiffness at 65kg, but the handling is now more predictable when the going gets fast which is good to have considering the nature of current UK race courses.

The shock on the new bike is generally run fully open and around 145psi but that changes depending on where we're racing. Overall, the bike handles great, rips the turns and there are few other bikes I'd like to try out. I'm confident that the ASR is the best bike for racing on and that is a great help on the line!

Buildkit comprises of...
Headset - 6 year old Chris King
Fork - RockShox Sid Team, no poplock
Wheels - Stan's ZTR Olympic, Tune QR, tubeless w/yellow tape and various Kenda tyres
Brakes - Hope Mono Mini Pro
Groupset - XTR shifters, front mech; XT cassette 11-32, shadow mech; Ultegra SL compact chainset 44/34 TA rings; SRAM PC991 cross-step chain.
Pedals: Time Xen
Finishing - Raceface Deus XC SL 90mm stem, Next bar and post, SLR saddle, ODI Ruffian lockons, Gore cables, Yeti cable protectors, carbon bar tape chainstay protector, Tune Wassertrager.

All up weight for that is 22.1 pounds.

I suppose the interesting bit is how light this bike is without stupid stuff on. If I was to go all out there is easily another pound or two to drop, but I like to go riding off-piste and not change setup or risk having a bunch of mechanicals.

The other custom trick I am using this year are a set of road cranks with 44/34 rings and road pedals. After training big miles on my road bike through winter my legs have become used to having a narrow q-factor which mountain bike chainsets don't provide. And while road pedals and shoes aren't great for running, they give a massive increase in power, plus a big platform for cornering.
Rides so far on the bike have been very positive and at Gorrick R3 - the first time the bike was used in anger - there were no problems. I can't wait to get this thing on the podium!

No comments:

Post a Comment