March 11, 2009

RIDERS READY Luke Webber

NICKNAME WEEBLE
HOMETOWN SOUTHAMPTON
AGE TWENTY THREE
CAT EXPERT
BIKE ASR ALLOY

More reknowned for his writing than his riding, for 2009 Luke is putting his own racing first instead of 'talking the talk'. There will still be a few media mogul moments, just don't expect a camera, notepad or laptop to be listed as essential items come raceday. For the moment pedalling a bike pretty fast is his number one priority...

SO, WHAT'S THE MASTERPLAN FOR 2009?
To be as fast as I can be. As for results, it would be nice to finish top-11 at the National Champs and qualify for a World Cup.

IS THAT A REALISTIC AIM?

I reckon so. I have been training hard for six months. If I'm not fit now, I never will be.

WHAT HAPPENED TO TAKING PICS AND WRITING STUFF...

I'm still doing that, it's just that this year I won't be travelling around Europe on an adventure with little regard to cycling. Last year I really missed riding a bike myself. It gets quite depressing watching everyone whizz by and not having part of the action.

SO HOW COME THE SUDDEN CHANGE?
I was really inspired staying with the top pros in the World last year. You can't help but take what they do on board. I wanted part of the action and riding hard this year is the first step.

SO WHAT'S THE KEY EVENT?
Definately National Champs. That is the only place I can qualify for a World Cup without an Elite licence. It is a big aim and every other race will be just treated as training. I'm not saying the National Series isn't important, of course I'd like to win a few...but I'm more concerned with continual improvements through those races.

WILL THERE BE ANY TIME OUT FROM THE RACING SEASON?
Definately. I really like those Avalanche Enduro and Mash-Up events where you're timed on singletrack. They are fun to do with a few mates and then relax afterward.

HOW HARD HAS IT BEEN TO BALANCE WORK AND RIDING FULL-TIME?
Luckily pretty easy. Through winter there is little work to do - not so many races, and the sun stays away. So there have only been one or two weeks that have been less than ideal. It is cool having Yeti support for the year too.

YOU HAVE BEEN ON THE BIKES FOR A WHILE NOW?
My first was a 2003 ARC that I saved forever to get, it made all those bad overtime shifts in a supermarket worthwhile. Since then I have guested on the unofficial team at a few events, but having a full setup this year will be a great help for the riders and also the brand. There are also alot of independant riders and teams on the bikes for 2009 and that just shows that they are great bikes in demand. Knowing you are on the best product on the line, that is one less thing to worry about and a big confidence booster.

No comments:

Post a Comment